Sunday, November 30, 2008

Korean Labor and Goods




So I needed to get a new bridge for my violin. I got it from Julie's Mom in March 07 when she passed away she gave it to me. It's beautiful-sounding and has a lot of character (meaning it's not all varnished up like a new one)- and it's over 100 years old. Carved in 1903 or 1907, it's a Stradivarius copy but it sounds like a real one to me! Then again, I have an untrained ear.
I took it down to Insa-dong Market with the kids and for 25,000 won (about $20 USD) and in 20 minutes, it had a new bridge and for another 12,000 won, I got tuners put on the tailpiece. 35,000 won got me a new set of D'Addario Helicore Strings which is cheaper than the US. I was just amazed it was done so fast. In Papillion at a certain music store that will remain nameless- I dropped off a cherrywood bow and the guy ruined it trying to get the old horsehair out of it. I should have refused to pay for that and really let them have it, but I'd bought a carbon-fiber bow at a better shop in town. So when I go to the States, I can expect more of that. So I'd better not get used to it.
And I got a music stand for 22,000 won. It's a really nice one, too. Julie likes to play duets with me, but doesn't like when I look over her shoulder and play in her ear. So a music stand will help her out. Cheap won, cheap stuff. Korea ROCKS!
We got a Christmas gift for a Korean orphan for around $30- a remote control car. Treasures in the markets are a lot of fun. You can find all sorts of stuff and the trick is - you're not looking for it right then, but if you don't get it, you'll never see it again. That's the hard part.
Finally, we're getting a Wii for Christmas. They're $250 on base at the PX and 257,000 won ($190 USD) off base. But the Korean ones don't play US games and don't come with much. But I found controllers off-base at the Electronics Market and they're 27,000 won. If it works on our Wii, I just saved a bundle on accessories. If it doesn't, I only lost 27,000 won. I'm going to test it out on Chris Chang's Wii. Then I need the stuff for Wii Fit, Rock Band and Guitar Hero. And the dance thing or whatever.
Oh, and I want one of those nice Daelim Motorcycle Trucks. It's a copy of a Kawasaki Ninja (Hyosung also makes a Ninja Knockoff) with a mini-bongo bed. There's only one word to describe how people ride motorcycles around here - DEATHWISH.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Justin You scored. Gotta love Korea. I love that violin and am truely grateful that it is in wonderful hands. I loved sitting at mom's feet listening to her play. You are a great musician and it's great that you are playing with Julie. You Rock!!!