Friday, July 25, 2008

The $600 Wonder Car



I don't have any bikini-clad models on my car. Sorry, this is one of those cars you'd be ashamed to drive in high school. And the inside matches the outside. So much so, when it rains it's like the car on "Seinfeld" that Elaine said smelled like B.O. And smell like B.O. it does. People here understand that 'hoopties' as they call the hand-me-down cars tend to look, drive and smell like the pieces of junk they are. On the bright side, you total that car and you're out $600 and if your gas tank is full, it's a tragedy. My insurance runs $12 a month on it, so it's not like there's a huge liability over here on cars. They drive crazy here anyway, so you don't want something that's going to get banged up and make you mad. It's just transportation, that's it. Parts and labor are cheap on the native cars, so it just makes sense to have a Daewoo/Kia/Hyundai because this is where they were born. By the way, they drive on the right side of the road here, so that's a huge plus. I drove in Japan once and the whole time everyone honked and swerved at me and they were all in my lane. At the end of my tour here, I'll sell it for $500 and pass it down the food chain. How I miss my Saturn SL2. If I can't get an exception to policy we'll have to just have one car, otherwise I can get a mini-van for Julie so she doesn't have to walk to post or share the car with me when the weather gets cold. We'll have to see what happens.

5 comments:

Theresa Walker said...

Lovin' the car! Neil was wondering if you could come pimp-out his ride? Sounds like you guys are really having an adventure. Maybe if the kids or so bored you could teach them oragomi :).

Nikki said...

Hey guys, do they have maaco and do you want me to send you a box of pine tree air santinizers? Love Robin

Larry L said...

Your Yahoo email sent to Tyler T bounced so I will send a comment in hope of contacting you.

I really enjoyed the pictures of the Halls in Korea.

Our dryer has started to act up so we made arrangements last week to pickup your dryer and it is working great.
Thanks.
We were wondering about the washer. We were planning to take our old dryer to Thrift America and can take the washer at the same time if that is ok with you. I was planning to get a tax receipt that can be itemized on next year's tax return as a contribution. Would you like one for the washer we can mail it to you?
The piano is way to big to fit in our van and more than two can handle so I will not be able to make any arrangements for it.
Thanks again and hope all is well with your family.
The Lewellens.

Justin said...

Give me an email to kb7lak@yahoo.com and I'll be glad to set everything up with my neighbor to get you the washer/dryer. No receipt is necessary, they're yours and just send your old ones elsewhere. Or you can go talk to my neighbor Kenny next door and I'll tell him you're coming. Or contact Keith McKee, he has a garage door opener.

Unknown said...

Looks like a Mitz Galant style .. Hyundai did copy a lot of Mitsu there for a while....the hot one was the Galant VR4 with the turbo in it ...