Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Will Someone Please Tell Me What I'm EATING???


This pic is at the Yongsan Station- they made this car ad on the stairs so it looks like you're on a big car, but it was dark, so it's blurry. Spencer is in yellow and Tab and Mandy have the black and blue umbrellas.
We went to a place that we thought would be cheap, but oh well. $53 later, we walked out pretty full, but who knows what we ate. I recognized the meat - they cook it right in front of you on your own table-grill, but with an 18 month old, it's quite a feat. We have to keep her away from it and getting burned, and the waitress was really cool and cooked it for us. It was really good. The salads were kind of spicy and the kim'chi wasn't too hot, but what are you supposed to do with the red paste? I dipped the meat in it and they gave us a ton of this two-onion salad. It had white and green onions in it. Hard to eat with chopsticks, but whatever. There was some kind of crab with the red bean paste (didn't eat that) and they brought out watermelon. I had to ask for rice because the kids only ate the meat and a little salad. It was all really good and ordering it was a pain in the rear, because we wanted two entrees and they tried to tell it wasn't enough food, but I thought they were out of everything. So we got two of the ribs and it had a lot of the aforementioned sides. After dinner, we went for a walk in the Sinyongsan area. We were just a stone's throw from E-mart and the Yongsan Station- and ironically, about 1/2 mile from home. On bicycle, it would have been really fast to get home from there. But we perused the shops in the neighborhood and looked at a toystore. The prices on toys I thought would be cheaper, but that wasn't the case. They're about the same as the US.
Walking in the 'back-alley' shops, I had Violet on my shoulders, and these two ladies at the sidewalk restaurant (they worked there) came and grabbed her off my shoulders and took her inside. The other kids freaked out because they thought that she was gone. So they followed the ladies and yelled at them. We told them it was OK, she was just showing off the baby. And whenever we're out, a lot of people stop and take pictures of the baby because redheads are so rare. I try to teach Violet to wave at them and be friendly.
Today I did something mean to the Korean guy I work with. I made flashcards of Hangul characters and threw one in there that was a scribble. So he was telling me the sounds of the characters and then got to the scribbled one and started laughing. I told him that's what Hangul looks like to me sometimes. But it's pretty logical. I already know a few of them. S is a stick figure guy with no arms doing the splits. It all makes sense once you get familiar with it. Then it's just grammar and vocabulary after that. It's just hard because only a few bus stops have English names on the route map, so you have to memorize the Hangul to get it. Or take the subway, because it's in both.
The post swimming pool is sure nice. Even nicer is the fact that it didn't RAIN today! We'll go to the Post Theater when it's raining next time and see a free movie. Kung Fu Panda is playing every night this week there and all the movies are free here.

1 comment:

Tonya said...

Sounds like you all are having quite the adventure there. Looks like fun, although if it were me, I'd probably be super stressed out! Keep writing-it's fun to read! I'll send you and invite to my blog also.