Saturday, October 18, 2008

Korean Generosity


I had a screw in my front tire and it of course caused a slow leak in that tire. So after Amanda's soccer game I took it to the tire shop and the guy saw it right away. His English was about as good as my Korean. So there was a lot of pointing and talking that no one understood. He grabbed some tools and a tire patch and patched it in about 1 minute. Then he filled up the tire. I asked him what it cost and apparently "FREE" is in the Korean Vocabulary. Well, that's fine, but I wanted to at least pay the guy something. So I held up a King Sejong (10,000 Won bill) and said "Chom Shim" (Lunch) and tried to give it to him a few times. I guess they are supposed to refuse stuff the first time, and you're supposed to push it on them. I was going to wad it up and throw it past him so he'd have to chase it down to give it back, but that might have offended him and I might have backed into a car since it would have been hard to make a fast get away without running someone or something expensive over. I asked a few more times and walked toward him with the money (basically $8) and he backed away and wouldn't take it. Monday I'm going to get a bunch of rice cakes or something and run them over there to the tire shop. That was really nice of the guy- but the people here are like that. I don't know that would happen in other countries around here- I may be wrong.

By the way, I bought one of those tennis-racket looking bug killers. I only regret I didn't get one years ago! Amazing device. Go out and get one while they're on sale and bug season is almost over. Then you're ready to zap those jerks when Spring hits. Mine charges on 120 or 240 volts (it's all 240 over here!) and it has a nifty flashlight on it as well. I hate mosquitoes enough to enjoy hearing the loud pop and snap when they get the insect electric chair.

Julie finished Violet's fairy costume. Here's a shot. A red-headed angel.

1 comment:

Shannon C said...

Precious! We miss y'all!