Sunday, May 17, 2009

Joint Security Area on the Demilitarized Zone Part 2




I walk around the table and out the window I can see the little cement marker that says I'm in N Korea.  It's amazing to be there.  It's just a building and just a corner of earth that never healed from the war, but it's N Korea.  If they knew who I was, I doubt they'd put forth the effort to grab me, but they've grabbed people before.  

I stand with the guards and take some pictures.  Here's one of me standing next to them.  You don't want to touch them, because they'll touch you and you'll be on the ground really fast.  So I was careful.  They know a lot of moves that will put you down.  

Here's a pic of the Paul Bunyon incident where Capt Bonifas was killed by N Koreans for chopping down a tree that blocked the view into N Korea on the DMZ.  The round circle shows you how big the tree was.  You don't want anything impeding your view into N Korea.  But 2 Army guys died for that cause.  There were other incursions and a Russian defector that ran across to the ROK side and made it.  Started a pretty serious firefight, but 3 KPAs died and one ROK in that deal.  Our guys stand willing to do it again if necessary.  It's routine to show people around the DMZ, but they'll whip out the 9mm and go to town if the North pushes it.  Then a lot of ROK soldiers will pour in there and that will be that.  It was a good tour, like I said and very fascinating.  If this whole thing gets resolved, I hope they keep that place intact, so people can see what it was like.  Someday they'll just be actors playing the part and more than now, they'll just hang out and talk when the tourists aren't around and they'll get to their places then the blue bus rolls up.  Until then.....

No comments: