Saturday, September 13, 2008

Saturday in Seoul

ry




It's nice to sort of know your way around here. I just wish we had the language down a little better. But that'll come along with time and effort. We called family in the morning and got ready to go out. Then we walked to Ichon Station, and hopped the rails to Anguk Station and went to Insadong Market. We didn't get what we wanted there so we went for a walk down the Cheonggye Stream nearby. It was covered over when they were rebuilding Seoul back in the 1950s, but in the late 1980s when there was some time for the society to start asking for real quality of life venues. It's beautiful and much nicer to stroll along than the fetid ditch that runs through Yongsan Army Garrison. Here's the picture of the thing. It's really a work of art- like these tiles that depict a Korean King and his procession. Beautiful!!!

Here's a picture of the empty subway station since it's Chusok, because they're NEVER that empty. There's always lots of people in all the stations.

And Amanda helped the guy make rice cakes and smash the rice. He was really nice. They love the 'tourists' here.

So we went from soaking our feet in the river to the Namdaemun Market and looked for stuff. I got some stainless steel chopsticks and Spencer actually did the transaction, so the guy gave him a 1000 Won. Those thin, slippery chopsticks are really hard to use. So hopefully the kids will learn how to use them.

We needed to look for dishes, and there was a large display at the Commissary- and of course they were all sold out. Julie had called me at work and asked if she could get them. I told her to get them and we'll give them away if I don't like them. But she didn't and they were out of them. So we're still looking for dishes- but we can't peak too soon, either.

And I should have taken the violin with me to Insadong Market and gotten the bridge replaced. That was Julie's Mom's violin and it sounds too good for me. I'm not up to playing it as well as it sounds. But it does need a little work, so I need to take it to the best luthier there. I need to play more- I was trying to learn the Korean National Anthem. Happy Chuseok, Korea.

And Kim Jong Il had a stroke. I wonder what that means for us around here? The lack of predictability is going to be interesting.

5 comments:

irinaindira said...

Beautiful places...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ms. Amanda Grace said...

The subway picture is pretty to me for some reason (strange?)

It sounds like you have your hands full. Best of luck.

Diana said...

It looks and sounds like you guys are having the time of your life. We love and miss you. Take Care

Theresa Walker said...

I like you t-shirt in the family pic Justin. Love it!