Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hanguk-Mal


As I sit here next to the window in my recliner eating Swedish Fish and sweating, I think about my time here in Korea. I need to score a bag of their custard-filled pastries here, but I don't know what they're called, nor where else to get them besides Samgakji Station, it's 1 or 2 North of Ichon, and it's not worth 2000 Won to get them. They need to have them around here and I'm sure they do, I just don't know where to look right now. We went to Dunkin' Donuts tonight looking for the cheap t-shirts that rail against the Japanese and the islands they're fighting over. Things like that around here will ruin million dollar business deals. Westerners think that's silly, but here it's a big deal. You dishonor someone and you close the door forever if you don't apologize. I wouldn't have been a good missionary around here, luckily the Latinos in Miami were more understanding- and they were in the US, so they sort of had to accept certain things there. I'm not taking any chances here- I even got a Korean flag and put it on my door for tomorrow. It's Korean Liberation Day on 15 August. Like our 4th of July. So I don't mess with that.
I'm also trying to get my head around the Hangul writing. But it's a little tougher than I thought. The sounds aren't too bad, but the letters are sort of tough to keep straight with the sounds. Anyway, I actually deciphered a stop sign (chong chi) and I try to read the Hangul when it's printed near English, it's better than cheating, because it's legal and it helps you learn it.
So here's to the mighty South Koreans and hopes that the bombs/artillery/missiles/etc all stay silent and the people get together like Germany- without firing another shot. It'll crash this economy worse than the German one, but re-unification is worth it. You can spend a LOT less on defense and reinvest it in factories and stuff up North to keep the wolf from the door.
TAEGEUKI- The Korean Flag - all the symbols around the Yinyang represent the four elements.
Pizza, cheeseburgers, chicken and ice cream if you're ME!!!

No comments: