Friday, August 8, 2008

Korean Fan Death!!!!


I couldn't stop laughing, and I hope I didn't offend the ROK Military Counterparts, but they actually believe here if you don't crack your windows a little bit when you're running the A/C or a fan, that you could die. It can smother you, they believe. So you see the cars with their windows down a little bit as well. So if you don't open your window a little bit tonight and run your A/C or a fan and you die- don't say I didn't warn you. I think they get confused between running a fan or burning charcoal in the house. All the Korean-made fans that are big have timers on them so you don't get killed running it. They do have a vacuum system over the tables here that you BBQ at- it sucks up the smoke and runs it outside, thus keeping Seoul nice and muggy. Since Monsoon season is mostly over (except it rained tonight!) it shouldn't be so humid, but it'll still be hot around here.

I went with my boss to Itaewon to exchange some money and we drove down an alley in the Antique district. Then we got stuck down there, a la Austin Powers. Ever seen a 20-point turn? It wasn't anyone's fault and the funny thing was you saw on the walls where the mirror-housings all scraped against them. We had lunch and the girl he's dating showed up and laid into the waiter about something. It was funny, because you could tell she was chewing his butt and she didn't want to sound mad or something. The food was awesome and we had some good conversation. Apparently you don't order meat for lunch, it's too much to eat or something. Then why was it on the menu? I don't get it.

Julie went out to a place that they get the dead skin off your feet- with fish. Julie screamed really loud when the fish started eating on her feet. And then the guy came around and told her to pull her feet out because she was hogging all the fish. Her feet feel softer, but she doesn't want to do that again. It was only 7,000 Won ($7) to do that. I wonder if people in the US would do that.

My $600 car is now up to 80,000 Won ($80) in repair costs. The door handle broke and it was getting annoying to have to unlock it from the other side or leave the window open. I had to take it back after he fixed it because the parts inside are all rusted apart and he had to pull them out and clean them up and weld them back together. I told the guy thanks and I'd see him next week. I hope he didn't think I was making fun of his work, because he worked really hard on the door and I also got a hor that works, but it's really quiet. Maybe I'll order one from JC Whitney and put it in. One that's really loud, because you need a nice loud horn to drive around Seoul.

Last night we went to Naemdemun Market up by Seoul Station. Turns out, it would have been better to take the subway, because it went right from Ichon to that station. Now we know. We ate dinner up there and paid tourist prices for noodles and pork that was mostly gristle. People saw us eating out there at the Market entrance, and a lot of people stopped to look at Violet and the other kids, and they did the usual- the hair touching and the holding like they own the kid, but it doesn't bother her or us for that matter. She gets all the attention and the modeling agents have Julie's number for shoots when school starts.

I had to take a moment to boo the North Koreans at the opening ceremonies. I get to watch them live since we're in the same time zone. I thought they were supposed to march with the South Koreans. Then again, they were propped up by the Chinese back in the day. It's just funny how some of the countries march in with the person holding their flag and about 2 other people. When my credit card has more buying power than their Gross Domestic Product, you get that.

No comments: