Sunday, August 3, 2008

So what did I think Korea would be like?

This is an interesting thing. I have to say my expectations were actually kind a low. I had no idea this culture would be so inviting and the people so friendly. I've been to Japan so many times, I'm used to standing in a subway station trying to interpret Kanji symbols and figure out where the heck I am- all the while 100,000 people zoom past me. It's not like that here- the Hangul is actually pretty logical and there's a lot more in English here than there. Besides, if a local sees you pull out a map, they ask if they can help. I never expected that.
The sidewalk cafes here are nice and cheap. The food is really good. I never expected to like it this much since it all seemed sort of bland the first time I had it (2004).
The city is really clean- which I expected, except for the air, but I've heard it used to be a lot worse. I can't imagine 25 years ago when they used leaded gasoline! And the place has really grown as well.
I knew they'd have a lot of respect for elders here and they'd like our kids. Violet can't stop getting everyone's attention. The people actually stare at us and it's funny. I don't mind. They see the redhead on my shoulders and just look at her. Fire red hair isn't something the Koreans have. They also are getting Westernized and are getting into plastic surgery and stuff. That's too bad. I think they're all really fine the way they are, but they're going to end up like us (unable to smile after botox or something).
I knew cars would be cheap and rent would be expensive but I didn't know utilities would be out of this world expensive. Driving would be crazy- you really have to be defensive here. I had 3 close calls one day coming home from work and decided I'd stay on base to the extent I could. I'm not ready to really hit Seoul, because I'm afraid they'll all hit me! We did see a bus driver get out of his bus at a light and yell at a lady that cut him off in traffic. I didn't think they had road rage to the extent we do in the US. I know he'd just honk and flip her off in the US because to get out of your car in a country like the US means you think you're bulletproof. In Korea, gun control works because NO ONE has guns. Just the cops- and they look like .22's to me. Not that there's all that many cops anyway. They all drive around with their roof lights on and you see about 10% of the cops you'd see in the States. They also don't enforce a lot of the traffic laws, either. They drive crazy here- they all do. They all want to get there first. But other than the bus driver that yelled at the lady (that actually rolled down her window!) I doubt everyone takes the getting cut off in traffic too personally.
I could go on and on about the food. It's good- I don't know about the fish- I hate fish and I don't eat it. I didn't think they'd eat it that much here, but it's Asia so they eat fish. Yuck.
But I knew there would be rice everywhere, it's Asia. They're pretty thin here, but they're getting chunky as they Americanize. Too bad. I wouldn't wish that on them.
All in all, the resilient culture is not wholly portrayed on MASH, but there's a few things they got right. Kim'chi pots, and an industrious people. I didn't think they all worked as hard as they do, but this place was flattened in the 1950s, and it's quite built up now. Not sure about North Korea, they invited me there, but I decided against it. I'm happy here, not because I know I'm leaving in 2 or 3 or 4 years. but because it's something different and interesting. I can get used to this place and they're probably used to me already.
If you read this, I hope you enjoyed it. As a historian, this sort of thing brings it all alive for me. They're good peeps. I can see how a lot of Westerners come and expliot their desire to make you happy. But they are serious about success here. They go to school a LOT.
Someday I hope there's one Korea and the South doesn't have to get leveled to get there.
KATCHI KAPSHIDA (We go together)

No comments: