Saturday, August 30, 2008

Insadong Market





This was quite a fun trip to the market. We needed to shop for a baby-grand piano since we're settled and everything. I just don't know where we're going to put the thing. This apartment just got a lot smaller. But we saw the first one for 4,000 Won. So that's a little less than 4 grand. You almost feel guilty talking the guy down, so I'll get a native Korean to do that for me. Then I don't feel bad at all!

Violet drew a crowd, and here's a picture of them taking pictures of her. She's so cute and the people can't help but stop and talk to her and take her picture all the time.

And here's how I learn Korean. You read the signs and the Hangul on top matches the Romanization so you learn the sounds and letters by reading the signs out loud. YEOK means station and GIL means street. Ichon is the part of Seoul we live in. And you say Ichon-dong, dong meaning section/village/area/etc. And there's a pic of Tabitha playing in the fountain on the side street there.

I have to speak in Church tomorrow on kindness. I'll spare the details, but after having to threaten 3 of 4 kids with death and dismemberment on an hourly basis today, writing a talk on kindness is going to be tough to do.

The Tripps from Church took us down there and we went out to a restaurant for $36 worth of kim'chi, rice, dumplings and broth. When you consider that's what we spent and fed 12 people, that's pretty good. And it's good food around here too.

We're going back Tuesday to get a native Korean piano. We saw the Japanese Yamaha pianos, and the regular uprights were about 18 grand. Not even a baby grand!

I finally got a Korean flag, too. 9,000 Won and it came with a pole and little holder and 100 of whatever they use in North Korea for money. I'll copy it here one of these days and you all can print it out and use it for North Korean goods you see at the local market. I love Korea.

No comments: